Pawn South, Inc. is a family owned company that began in Chadbourn in 1989 as City Pawn and Guns. The original location was in a historic building built in 1930 by Houston and Haley Barnes’ great-great grandfather, George W. Dove. Mr. Dove operated Dove Wholesale out of the building for many years and most native Chadbourn residents still remember shopping there. This building is now home to Flower’s Jewelry.
City Pawn next opened a store in Elizabethtown in 1993 and in 2002 continued to grow by opening in Lumberton under the name Pawn South. Since then Pawn South has expanded to Conway, SC (2003), Whiteville (2006), Tabor City and Bladenboro (2007), and 3 Wilmington locations (2008-2012).
In 2006, Pawn South dropped the name City Pawn in Chadbourn and Elizabethtown. The business currently operates ten Pawn South locations and proudly serves the residents of Southeast North Carolina and Northeast South Carolina!